- Home /
- Learn /
- Buying guide articles on metal detectors and accessories /
- Antique Toys /
- Antique Toy Hunting with a Metal Detector
- Metal Detector Reviews, Ratings | Top Rated Metal Detectors
- Metal Detector History
Buying Guide Articles
- Antique Bottle Digging
- Antique Toys
Beach & Water Hunting
- Underwater Metal Detectors – Reviewing the Best Options
- What are the Best Metal Detectors for Metal Detecting on the Beach?
- Scuba Diving with a Metal Detector
- Treasure You Can Find in up to Six Feet of Water
- How Can You Enjoy Metal Detecting on Your Next Vacation?
- Life’s a Beach: Just Bring your Metal Detector!
- Coin & Jewelry
- Deep Seeking 2 Box
- Digging & Target Retrieval
- Gold Prospecting
- Metal Detecting Locations: Digging Into Research at Your Local Library - Uncovering the best sites for locating treasures
- How To Select A Metal Detector
- What is the Best Metal Detector?
- Choosing A Metal Detector Headphone
- Choosing A Metal Detector Search Coil
- Treasure Hunter's Code of Ethics
- What metal detector accessories should I start with?
- What are the Best Beginners Metal Detectors?
- Which Metal Detector is Best for You?
- How to Learn about the Science and the Hobby of Metal Detecting?
- Must-Read Advice for Every New Metal Detecting Hobbyist
- Successful Detectorists Share their SECRETS with Beginners.
- Gem Stones & Minerals
- Marine Salvage Search & Recovery
- Meteorite Hunting
- Relic Hunting
Field Test and Review
- Fisher Labs
- Cibola Field Test
- Pieces of History
- Compadre - A Family Fun Detector
- Cortes Field Test
- DeLeon Field Test
- Golden uMax Field Test
- Lobo Super Traq Field Test
- A Lil' piece of El Dorado
- Sand Shark Field Test
- Silver uMax Field Test
- The Tejon: A Diary from Holland
- GNRS Adventures with the Tejon
- Tejon Field Test
- Tiger Shark Field Test
- Vaquero Field Test
- Tesoro Vaquero Field Test
- In Depth Vaquero Field Test
- Black Widow Product Review
- The Rattler Metal Detector Headphone Product Review
- Ultimate Gray Ghost Headphone Product Review
- Original Gray Ghost Product Review
- DetectorPro Gray Ghost Headphone for XP DEUS
- Gray Ghost Amphibian Headphone Product Review
- Gray Ghost Deep Woods Metal Detecting Headphones Review
- Gray Ghost DMC Headphone Review
- Gray Ghost NDT Headphone Review
- Gray Ghost Underwater Headphone Review
- Gray Ghost Underwater for Minelab CTX Headphones Review
- Nugget Busters Metal detecting headphones Product Review
- Jolly Roger Headphones Review
- Nugget Busters NDT metal detecting headphones review
- Jolly Rogers Ultimates Metal Detecting Headphones Product Review
- Ready Shovel
- Camel Mining
- Instructional Manuals
- Treasure Videos
- Product Catalogs
- Customer Service
- About Us
White's Electronics is looking forward to working with Michael, Daniel and the MetalDetector.com team. Their experience in the metal detecting industry is unmatched.
I have enjoyed working with Michael, Daniel and their team at Detector Electroics Corp. They have done a fine job representing the Detector Pro line since it was first introduced in 1996. One of the things I see them do is go the extra mile for their customers. It is always nice to see a family run business endure and we wish them many years of continued success.
We appreciate the partnership from Michael and Daniel at MetalDetector.com. As a family owned business, we choose our partners carefully. We have found that their team has done a fine job of representing our line. With thirty years of success under their belt, we expect that they will be a partner for many years to come.
We at Treasure Products, manufacturer of the Vibra-Probe and Vibra-Tector, want to congratulate Daniel and Michael on the admirable milestone of being in business for over three decades. The dedication and product knowledge that your staff exhibits has been a great benefit to us. We offer our best wishes for your continued success.
I have found that the team at MetalDetector.com has done a fine of job representing the entire JW Fishers line. They have partnered with us in helping to bring our products to both individuals, larger corporate and governmental organizations. Michael and Daniel have established a knowledgeable team that has done the job of getting the correct product in to the hands of each consumer. I wish them continued success as they represent our products in the years to come.
I have been impressed by the professional approach and the experience of Daniel, Michael and the entire team at Detector Electronics Corp. Three decades of superior customer care has been the key to their success and large sales volume.
We have enjoyed working with Michael, Daniel and their esteemed team at Detector Electronics Corp. We feel that they have been the best choice for representing the good reputation of the Makro Detectors in the region. They have been working towards 100% customer satisfaction ever since they started their cooperation with us as our exclusive Distributor in the USA and Canada. We are pleased to see both their business and the sales in their region continue to grow. It is nice to see both our family business and theirs growing together. We see our companies moving forward together for many years to come.
Garrett has a longstanding quality relationship with Detector Electronics Corp since the 1980s. I have seen them grow from a regional dealer to one of the largest internet dealers yet they have maintained that special care for the customer for over three decades. Their team of knowledgeable, helpful and friendly staff and family make their dealership a first choice for the treasure hunter.
MetalDetector.com has been a valuable business partner to Fisher Research Labs for many years. They continue to grow while still offering the best in customer service and after sale support, which is very important to FRL. We wish to congratulate them on 3 decades of business and stellar service to our mutual customers. Having known Michael and Daniel along with their parents for 2 of the 3 decades they have been in business, I have seen their company grow year in and year out without sacrificing what’s important to all of us …customer service before, during and after the sale. Their entire staffs knowledge of our product helps to ensure the customer gets the right detector for their needs regardless of what they might be. We look forward to our future relationship and continued success of MetalDetector.com and their entire staff.
I recently had the pleasure of meeting with the team at MetalDetector.com at their newly expanded facility in Southborough, MA. I have to say that I was impressed with their operation and knowledge of the Teknetics product line. When the Teknetics product line was recently re-launched, MetalDetector.com was one of the first partners we contacted. They have had a long standing relationship with the brand as one of the original Teknetics dealers in the country. We value long standing relationships and are excited to have them as a member of our team.
It's been an honor and privilege working with the fine folks at Detector Electronics for over 25 years. Having a family owned and run business ourselves, we know the "attention to detail" it takes to keep a business running smoothly with an emphasis on customer service. It's no surprise that Sondra and David's fine sons, Michael and Daniel have continued in their parents tradition of being exemplary businesspeople who take the time and care enough to really know their clientele. It's always been a pleasure working with you!
DRS Electronics, GmbH is proud to have Detector Electronics Corp. represent our products. I have known Michael and Daniel for over a decade. Their team is genuine and knowledgeable. They provide exceptional support and service to our customers. They are a recognized leader in the industry. Internationally their business is known for excellent customer support. Their presence is a great confidence for treasure hunters.
CEO White's Electronics
Treasure Products, Inc.
XP Metal Detectors
Former Sales & Marketing Manager
Makro Metal Detectors
Garrett Metal Detectors
Director of Hobby Sales
Fisher Research Labs
VP of Sales & Marketing
Steve & Rosemary Anderson
People's Publishing Co., Inc.
Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine
DRS Electronics, GmbH
Dear Sondra, ...in addition to being the first metal detector company I found (after contacting several) which actually seemed to care about my order and which treated me like a valued customer, you also really worked hard from your end to make sure the purchase went through and the detector arrived at its destination on time. By the end I felt I was dealing with a friend rather than a faceless company on the net. Well done!
And, by the way, my 7 year old son Juanito found a nickel yesterday when he took his detector out for the first time! If things keep going this way the detector will have paid for itself within a few short decades! But seriously, he is really enjoying it and hoping to find his long-dreamed-of buried treasure some day.
Ordered 2 Garrett ACE 250's on 09-14-09 at noon… Received 09-15-09 at noon… You folks should be proud that you hold true to all you say, do and promise. It's very refreshing to work with a company that keeps the “old-world” values going, not too many people / companies out there that can even come close to what you provide.
Happy to do business with you,
Remember me? I bought my Tesoro Tiger Shark from you... It came just when you said it would, and works just as you told me it would.
Thanks for your help in sorting through the maze of detectors.
1160 GRAM Meteorite! found 3 " underground. Don't ask where. One of many! As far as being excited I all most had a stroke. Here's a photo of one Meteorite I found on the surface, over 800 grams and a 447 gram one! The one in the middle is my first. The bar magnet has some small Iron meteorites on it.
Dear Detector Electronics,
I received the Tesoro Sand Shark today...and want to thank you. Tried it, love it, looking forward to many enjoyable hours with it. Knowing that it is a "rare" domestically made item gives me double pleasure! Also...doing business with pro's (such as yourselves) was also a pleasure I will tell others about! Forwarded a "glowing review" to you. Thanks again.
Dear Customer Service,
Just wanted to thank all involved in a recent shipment to me that was a gift for my grandkids. I ordered 2 detectors but for some reason only one was shipped. After calling your company you bent over backwards to get the second detector to me on time for giving to my grandchildren. I explained that we exchange gifts a week early so my children and their families can be in their homes Christmas morning since some travel distances are involved. The second detector arrived last Friday in time for our celebration last Saturday. --THANKYOU. I order quite a few things online and have experienced some terrible companies but you are the best.
Best regards and have a wonderful Holiday Season
I have just come in after spending an hour or at my local beach with my son, which is only a 5 minute walk from my home called Deception Bay. This is the first time i have ever used detector. The very first thing it detected in less than a minute was a two dollar coin, boy we were so excited! Not by the amount, but by the fact that on its maiden voyage it detected a coin. We then detected a ten cent piece. We can't wait to take it to a popular beach and I will practice more with the settings.
I would like to thank you for your prompt service. My detector arrived at my door In Brisbane Australia in less than a week. This is the first time I have used any service like this outside of Australia, but with this kind of service and ease of buying and your range of goods this will be the first of many transactions.
I just wanted to say thank you to Scott who made my recent purchase so pleasent! I am enjoying my Tesoro's and have found lots of cool stuff so far. Just waiting for that first gold find! Thanks agian for all the help that was provided in making my decision!
I was amazed at how fast I received my BOUNTY HUNTER. The order arrived in perfect condition, and in only three days after I placed the on line order. The four part series about selecting the right product was also appreciated and helped me to make the right decision for my purchase. You are truly a company that takes care of business and most importantly your customers. It is a pleasure doing business with you and I will gladly recommend you to anyone that wants to buy a metal detector. Thanks for the GREAT SERVICE.
Dear Customer Service,
I am a very happy camper. Yesterday I took my Garrett Ace 250 out for the first time to some local parks. My total find was about 150 coins. The detector works so well and so easily. It only took me about a half an hour before I new what every button did. I am also very salified with the support I got from Dan & Sondra.
PS I plan on buying my next detector from you.
I purchased an Ace 250 from your site for my 7 year old son and now I am hooked! This is our first metal detector and the Ace does every thing it says it will. Thanks for the fast delivery and introducing my son and I to a great new hobby.
Coin shooting in Pensacola, Fl
I got the detector-my husband was thrilled.... Thank you so much. You and Daniel have been so helpful. I am a first time buyer and am feeling very lucky to have found your website. Daniel helped me to locate a really great detector and you have been extremely courteous and prompt in seeing my order through. I look forward using my new metal detector. Hope you have a wonderful holiday season....overall my experience ordering off of your website was convenient and customer service was great. Thanks again.
I just want to thank Sondra and the rest of the gang for my Minelab Explorer SE. It was a pleasure doing business with you and I will recommend your fine business to my other detecting buddies.
Anita S. and Juan G., United Kingdom
Mike T., Rockport, MA
John B., San Diego, CA
Dana, Mystic, CT
Nick V., Churchville, PA
Duane B., Springville, NY
David and Josh
Lori G., Bessemer, AL
Jason R, Massachusetts
Our No-Haggle, Best-Price Guarantee on Metal Detectors
The same low pricing for everyone! Whether you’re a metal-detecting expert or novice, we keep it simple. We offer the lowest advertised pricing allowed by contract with each manufacturer. The personalized service you receive from our experienced team is our added bonus. That's what we are all about. Rest assured, you will not find a better value online.
Antique Toy Hunting with a Metal Detector
There is a world of difference between the toys of today and those from a century ago. At the turn of the nineteenth century, toys were constructed mostly of metal; they were more solid and sturdy than today’s plastic counterparts. Antique metal toys are highly desirable and collectible throughout the world. Because of their durable construction, they can often be scooped up by collectors in mint condition. Surprisingly, antique metal toys may be worth thousands of dollars. Just visit an auction house and you’ll see how much rare old milk trucks, sleighs, cars and other metal toys go for.
The most common way to collect antique toys is by purchasing them at flea markets and antique shops. However, you can also locate antique metal toys with a metal detector. Metal detector hobbyists have discovered thousands of toys buried just inches below the ground’s surface. Common finds are old lead soldiers and cast-iron cars. Metal treasures are scattered all around us just waiting to be found! Antique hunting with a metal detector is a great way to locate valuable toys to collect or sell. Where should you begin hunting for them? You can do a little research in the town room of your local library to locate areas that were once populated by children. Be sure to read our related article entitled Metal Detecting Locations: Digging Into Research at Your Local Library for more information.
Types of Metal Antique Toys
- Tin Metal Toys: From the early 1800’s until about 1940, tin was the metal of choice used to create toys. It could be lithographed and was bendable enough to make trucks and other play vehicles and houses. Some antique tin toys had parts including wind-ups and friction. According to Schroeder’s Antique Toys Price Guide, a tin horse-drawn milk delivery wagon with an opening front sells for $1,400 today. A 7 3/4" street railway car with six passengers is valued at $200.
- Cast Iron Toys: Realistically modeled and carefully detailed cast-iron toys were popular from the turn of the 20th century until about the 1940s. Some of the cast irons were more than 20" in length and very heavy. Many were vehicles patterned after actual models seen on city streets at that time. Horse-drawn carriages are highly collectible and valuable. Other sought-after antique cast-iron toys are airplanes, boats (including paddle wheelers and riverboats), construction vehicles and fire engines.
- Lead Toys: Lead toys had their heyday well into the 20th century. Children collected and played with cowboys & Indians, war heroes, soldiers and toy cars. Manoil toy soldiers and figurines are well-known antique lead toys that are valuable today. Lead toys were very popular until concerns emerged about lead poisoning and they were banned from production.
- Steel Toys: Steel sheets began to be used for the production of toys in the late 1930’s. This is when Matchbox and model cars made a splash in the toy market. Steel die-cast cars were great because of their level of intricate detail. Steel allowed for the design of opening doors, trunks and hoods. The time frame of steel toys gave way to the age of plastic.
What are the Best Antique Toy Hunting Metal Detectors?
Antique toys are considered relics, so a metal detector suitable for relic hunting is ideal. Be sure to check out our selection of relic hunting metal detectors. Also, be sure to read our related article entitled What are the Best Metal Detectors for Finding Relics for more information.
It’s important to determine if the soil you will be hunting in has heavy mineralization. If so, choose a detector with automatic ground balance or manual ground balance. The next consideration is the frequency of the detector. A detector with a lower frequency will better target metals such as iron and steel than a detector with a higher frequency. Your metal detector should be able to accept both large and small search coils depending on the ground conditions and terrain. For targeting antique toys, accessories can also prove abundantly helpful. For instance, headphones can help you indicate shallow or deep targets.
Copyright 2012 Detector Electronics Corp.